Sci-fi technology heavy books by POC authors?
Hey there readers of ABW! I’ve been gone for far too long haven’t I? Sorry. Been rather busy. This is going to be a short update, unfortunately.
1. Con or bust, the auction programme that works towards sending POC fans to Wiscon, is now open and will be until March 6. All sorts of fun stuff are on offer, from autographed books to pretty shiny jewelry to short story critiques to to spice blends, handstitched book marks, blogposts on your topic of choice, photographs once a week for a year, baked goods including cookies and pies, custom made figurines, podfic offers, Translation of Korean Text into English, Coraline Nike Shoes and more. Go thou and see if you like something there!
2. Rec me some sci-fi, technology heavy novels by POC authors please? Preferably with an emphasis on Women of Color authors but I will take what I can get. Steampunk is fine. Worlds with magic are fine too, just have some technology all around. I don’t care if the technology is powered by magic or the rules of physics just get me some technology up in there! Anthologies would be great. I also don’t care which year the books were released.
3. Like Shadow and Act says, the German film Transfer has the potential to SUCK so badly. Or not:Rich Whites Pay To Have Their Souls Deposited Into The Bodies Of Poor Blacks In Sci-Fi Drama Transfer’
4. In the vein of something that one can look forward to with rather less trepidation:Watch Vogue’s Profile Of Up-And-Coming Kenyan Filmmaker Wanuri Kahiu That would be the director who is bring Nnedi Okorafor’s epic Who Fears Death to the big screen. I cannot WAIT.
6. The last several posts at Beyond Victoriana has been highly interesting. Go thou and read.
7. ITVS Future States has got its second season of shorts inquiring what America might be like in 25 to 50 years going up right now. They are free and pretty damned interesting. If you missed the firs season, that’s there too.
8. Did you know that Zadie Smith’s White Teeth was made into a BBC production? That is now on Hulu? Well, now you do.
9. Hell. Why not?
Take That – Kidz
Though that lens flare was rather overused, yes?
la la la lalala lalala la la la lalalala lalalala …
Oh, and one more thing:
10.Amanda Ray – Stronger