I read this today and nearly spit coffee on my keyboard:
The Reverend Dr. Bill Lawson compared Lay with civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. and Jesus Christ, and said his name would eventually be cleared.
“He was taken out of the world right at the right time,” he said. “History has a way of vindicating people who have been wronged.”
Think CNN is kidding? Check out selected quotes from the service.
Here’s a newsflash: Ken Lay is not like Jesus Christ or Martin Luther King.
John Scalzi agrees and gives us ten reasons why this is so. Some of the best:
10. When Martin Luther King, Jr., declared that he had a dream, that dream did not include a $200,000 yacht for the missus
9. Jesus’ disciples not caught on tape snickering at the prospect of grandma baking to death during an induced power outage
6. Ken Lay’s letters from jail not likely to have been concerned about much aside from bitching that the warden refused to allow him his favorite French-milled soap
4. Jesus threw out the money traders; Ken Lay an inside trader
1. Neither Jesus nor MLK currently rotting in Satan’s duodenum
I’ll give you just one reason:
Ken Lay was a rich, white, heterosexual (as far as we know) male who, like most rich, white, heterosexual males, wallowed in his White privilege like pigs wallow in mud. Pigs are cleaner.
Here’s another thing that makes me angry – when white people say bullshit like this. No. And again I say: No. How disgusting a person do you have to be to not only defend a man like Ken Lay but to compare him to great men like MLK and honorable legends like Jesus Christ? I guess you have to be disgusting enough to be a minister.